Wild grape vines? ? ?

We have had a severe attack of wild grape vines in our hedges and trees. After a couple of days of pulling and digging, I think I have cut off every vine at the root and have tried to pull up the roots insofar as possible. Sometimes they run like an underground snake, 10 or 15 feet long.

I'm sure that the vine will attempt a comeback. My question is, when I see the first grape leaves, can I spray them with a herbicide -- being very careful, of course, not to hit any plants we want to keep.

What kind of herbicide should I use?

Reply to
Ray

Pruning shears. Cut as close to the stump as possible. And, pick up a medium-coarse file to keep your spade sharp. As long as you're going to repeat one procedure or another, may as well be a safe one.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't believe you are going to have much success at spraying a few leaves. There won't be enough sprayed surface to absorb the amount of herbicide it will take to kill a strong vine.

Do a Google search for your county "extension service agent". You may need to include the state in the search, but a couple try's should put you in contact with someone familiar with your vine, location and the best way to resolve your problem.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

Are you sure you have GRAPEVINES and not Kudzu? Have you seen any "grapes" on the vines?

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

How long to I have to keep them cut back before the vine root gives up the ghost?

Reply to
Ray

It took me about 5 years. The last time I saw any growth was 3 years ago.

Reply to
Doug Kanter