Grape Vines and Radical Pruning

I inherited many well established Concord grape vines which a previous owner had planted about 35 years ago. For several reasons, I would like to cut these plants as low as possible and allow them to grow back. (These vines were never properly trained; I need to replace portions of the fences that the plants are growing upon; etc.)

Is this reasonable and are there any special steps I should take? I do not want to start new plants from cuttings or from purchased plants. The existing plants have great established roots systems which I would like to utilize.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Should work fine - Just wait until dormancy to prune.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

I have done it as Paul says, no problem. It is very bad to cut vines in the spring, all cutting needs to be done in the fall after the leaves are gone - no exceptions. Also of note, I was able to move one vine (one inch thick in my case) six feet by burying it midstem, and cutting the vine rootside of the buried portion the next fall. They need water and fertilizer to produce properly, and of course protection from birds.

Reply to
simy1

I have done it as Paul says, no problem. It is very bad to cut vines in the spring, all cutting needs to be done in the fall after the leaves are gone - no exceptions. Also of note, I was able to move one vine (one inch thick in my case) six feet by burying it midstem, and cutting the vine rootside of the buried portion the next fall. They need water and fertilizer to produce properly, and of course protection from birds.

Reply to
simy1

Grape vines *like* radical pruning. Just make sure you do it at the right time of the year.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob