Cuttings from a grape vin

(this in late fall) in a shallow ditch over winter. Come spring dig up and bury the bottom two buds in the earth. Don't let them dry out and magic happens.

Easy

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

FamilyNet Newsgate

KJB>Can anyone help me on how to take cuttings or successfully root from KJB>layering from a well established outdoor grapevine? KJB>I have tried rooting compound on cuttings in compost in the KJB>greenhouse--nothing. Cuttings in water for about three weeks -- nothing. KJB>Layering vine staked into pot of compost outside off the main plant-- KJB>nothing yet. KJB>Any help would be appreciated I successfully toke some cutting from the 100 year old concord grape arbor at the Ackerman homestead in Medford, Massachsuetts in 1996, after the fruiting was completed and before frosting.

Cutting were of old and new wood between 6" to 12". I split the cut ends abit before placeing in water. I don't recall useing any hormons that I have used for other cuttings.

From four planting sites at end of our car drive way, major growths have developed into an arbor about 10' square that had overgrown last year that fruit production was poor; so last fall after frosting I cut much of the existing wood brances away.

This year the foilage growth is back full force and I estimate we may have fruit production that I hope may fill a gallon pail; if the many squirals and birds leave some for us. We use Peters dry furtilizer which is largely nitrogen in the spring.

Stay young, OldAck.

Reply to
THURSTON ACKERMAN