where to buy Chinese Evergreen?

I'm looking for a pot of Chinese Evergreen. I casually looked around in one or two department/grocery stores but did not find it. Is it a common enough plant that I could find in home depot or do I need to go to a nursery?

Reply to
peter

You should have NO problem finding it at Home depot or Lowes. I see them there ALL the time. I got a big one in a 10-12 inch pot this year from HD.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy

You can ALWAYS find them at Lowes and Depraived (Despot....er, Depot) but check the center leaf worls for mealy bugs before purchasing. We got in a beautiful shipment of three gallon tropical plants with three different kinds of Chinese evergreens, and every durn one of them had mealies. I treated the pots (the pots were $5.98 by the way) with pyrethrum spray, isolated the plants for a week, treated them again three days later and sold them for reduced. They were pest free by the time I marked them down, and I assured the people who bought them I had killed the mealies. I sprayed not only the undersides of the leaves, but down into the newer growth, and soil as well. I told customers to watch for any possible survivors, and to spray with simple rubbing alcohol. 99% of the customers were happy with their reduced plants, I have to say. There are three or four patterned varieties out. They adore shady spots inside the house, and the eastern or northern sides of the porch or deck in spring and summer. That's where mine is now. I'll treat it for mealies before bringing it inside for winter before frost though as mealies adore it's tender stems. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener