Uncovered a rabbit nest iin my half-barrel planter

Caught in Cartesian dualism are ye? Good luck. You gave the rocks a good chuckle though, good on you ;o)

Reply to
Billy

What does this mean?

Reply to
Jangchub

"The central claim of what is often called Cartesian dualism, in honor of Descartes, is that the immaterial mind and the material body, while being ontologically distinct substances, causally interact. This is an idea which continues to feature prominently in many non-European philosophies. Mental events cause physical events, and vice-versa. But this leads to a substantial problem for Cartesian dualism: How can an immaterial mind cause anything in a material body, and vice-versa? This has often been called the "problem of interactionism".

Descartes himself struggled to come up with a feasible answer to this problem. In his letter to Elisabeth of Bohemia, Princess Palatine, he suggested that animal spirits interacted with the body through the pineal gland, a small gland in the centre of the brain, between the two hemispheres. The term "Cartesian dualism" is also often associated with this more specific notion of causal interaction through the pineal gland. However, this explanation was not satisfactory: how can an immaterial mind interact with the physical pineal gland? Because Descartes's was such a difficult theory to defend, some of his disciples, such as Arnold Geulincx and Nicholas Malebranche, proposed a different explanation: That all mind-body interactions required the direct intervention of God. According to these philosophers, the appropriate states of mind and body were only the occasions for such intervention, not real causes. These occasionalists maintained the strong thesis that all causation was directly dependent on God, instead of holding that all causation was natural except for that between mind and body."

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It was the statement, "Caught in Cartesian dualism are ye? Good luck. You gave the rocks a good chuckle though, good on you ;o)" which I was questioning. Cartesian dualism was nothing new to eastern philosophy, as it shows in the definition. The historical Buddha of the Shakya tribe figured dualism out long before Descartes did.

The cup has tea in it. If you break the cup, it will no longer be a cup. It will be a pile of shards or whatever you choose to call it, but the tea is still the tea. So the body is a vessel for the mind. It is not part of the brain. The brain functions as a local powerhouse to charge the physical body to operate, but it has nothing to do with the mind.

Emptiness, as Buddhism discusses, is the complete lack of dualistic properties...and everything is inter dependant, tied together by cause and effect. Karma is a very complex discussion and far too many people are not willing, nor are they interested in the least about its workings. Certainly not here in rec.gardens.

Reply to
Jangchub

I find it interesting that Buddha is not going over well in India.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
\

The reason wouldn't be because there are more Hindi's than Buddhists? I mean, Buddha was a Hindi before he came up with his treatise. However, if you did a little more research you'd find that when His Holiness does a teaching in Dharamsala, India (where Tibet and its goverment live in exhile for the last 50 years) there are hundreds of thousands who show up from all over India and surrounding regions.

I never mentioned India, so why this is relevant is a puzzle.

Reply to
Jangchub

What do you expect when you are the new kid on the block?

Reply to
Billy

this |?is| pronoun ( pl. these |??z|)

1 used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being indicated or experienced : is this your bag? | he soon knew that this was not the place for him. ? used to introduce someone or something : this is the captain speaking | listen to this. ? referring to the nearer of two things close to the speaker (the other, if specified, being identified by "that") : this is different from that. 2 referring to a specific thing or situation just mentioned : the company was transformed, and Ward had played a vital role in bringing this about. adjective ( pl. these ) 1 used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being indicated or experienced : don't listen to this guy | these croissants are delicious. ? referring to the nearer of two things close to the speaker (the other, if specified, being identified by "that") : this one or that one? 2 referring to a specific thing or situation just mentioned : there was a court case resulting from this incident. 3 used with periods of time related to the present : I thought you were busy all this week | how are you this morning? ? referring to a period of time that has just passed : I haven't left my bed these three days. 4 informal used (chiefly in narrative) to refer to a person or thing previously unspecified : I turned around, and there was this big mummy standing next to us! | I've got this problem and I need help. adverb [as submodifier ] to the degree or extent indicated : they can't handle a job this big | he's not used to this much attention. PHRASES this and that (or this, that, and the other) informal various unspecified things : they stayed up chatting about this and that. this here informal used to draw attention emphatically to someone or something : I've slept in this here bed for forty years. ORIGIN Old English , neuter of thes; related to that and the.

Or maybe the sound of one hand clapping?

Or maybe the arrogance of this or that?

Or maybe the frivolity of asking a member of the phyla Annelida about the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything. What silliness would your ancestor of 10,000 years ago say? What may you descendant 10,000 years from now say?

What do the shadows on the cave walls say to you? And who cares?

Euclid said that a dot has no dimensions. Connect two dots with a line and you have one dimension. Move at a right angle to that line and you have a plane in two dimensions. Move at a right angle to that plane and you have a volume in three dimensions. Move at a right angle to tat solid and you have a ? in four dimensions. Move at a right angle to the ? and you have a ?? in five dimensions, ad infinitum.

Or as Alan Watts used to say when holding out a round metal trash can,"What is this"? Then he would turn it over and drum on it and ask,"What is this"? Then he would sit on it and ask "What is this"?

From the rocks and me, thanks for the giggle;o)

Reply to
Billy

For the life of me I'll never understand why people have this thing where they spend far more time wasted on useless shit than time spent on making some useful addition of human value.

I don't know how to spend time taliking in circles, which it seems you've mastered.

Reply to
Jangchub

What a loving example of compassion gone awry.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

IIRC part of his instruction came from listening to a stream. If streams can instruct, certainly rocks can chuckle;-)

Reply to
Billy

Billy

Seems a story like this was in my past.

A young man and his daughter on horseback were going down the road in Central America. Nothing eventful till a jeep ran by and backfired which spooked the horse which threw them in to the air. The Jeep driver stopped to help and it was a bit of confusion.

The horse driver dusting himself and child said a spirited horse no?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Compassion comes in many colors. If you ever met my Lama you'd run out of the room like a cat from a wolf. Human kindness isn't always in the form you would expect.

Reply to
Jangchub

How silly you are. Whatever you are recalling, it is incorrect. A stream didn't instruct Buddha Shakyamuni. He realized the middle way through six years of dedicated concentration. A consentration as stable as it would ever get for most people on the planet.

Reply to
Jangchub

Apparently, the six years was a dry hole (in Texan parlance) and it wasn't until young Siddhartha sat for a short while under a Bodhi-tree next to a stream that he became enlightened.

Why are you abusive?

Reply to
Billy

As St. Molly would say,"When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." Scaring people away isn't a sign of enlightenment to me. I know some mouth breathers that scare the willies out of me and I don't think of them as enlightened. If your lama is truly so fearsome s/he could be of some use in Tibet.

I'm going back to gardening.

Reply to
Billy

Shakyamuni Buddha is Siddhartha. It wasn't a short while. I doubt you'll ever know any human who could have complete concentration on one object for years on end.

I am far from abusive. I just don't take no shit. Being a Buddhist doesn't teach us to lay down in front of a train. Choo choo.

Reply to
Jangchub

replying to Nelly Wensdow, Dragonlady wrote: To keep rabbits out of plants, sprinkle blood meal. They hate the smell. Rain dilutes it so sprinkle a handful after each rain.

Reply to
Dragonlady