tree seeds in green bean like growths

I collected a long "green bean" like thing with seeds in it, germinated nearly all of the seeds, and am now trying to grow this tree in my sunroom. Would some kind soul who knows trees tell me the names of some trees which this could be, and I will be able to look up and identify the tree. It was a mature tree, and I enjoy the challenge of attempting to grow one. And does anyone know a good tree book? Thanks, Jackie Davidson

Reply to
J. Davidson

Probably Catalpa speciosa...

AlanG

1) Or C. bignonioides (don't know your location, but this is probably more common) 2) Tree books with good photos would include National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees and Dirr's Hardy Trees & Shrubs. If you don't mind black and white photos, a very good older book is Donald Wyman's Trees for American Gardens.
Reply to
AlanG

Reply to
J. Davidson

The pods on this have a toxic property while green, don't they? For some reason I recall a friend of mine telling me this. Wasn't one to test what he said since he was in the medical professions.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I don't know about toxicity, but I remember the one next to my house as a kid had a very loud perfume when in bloom. Being 74 years old, I am not worried about that part. Jackie

Reply to
J. Davidson