Sealing Clay Pots

Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this before and what have you used.

Reply to
Sammy'

There's a spray sealer made for clay pots. You can get it from Michael's craft stores. I haven't used it so I an't tell you if it works well or not

Shell

Reply to
Shell

I would not seal them. I use clay pots specifically because they are porous.

Moisture evaporating through the sides (even when they don't look damp) keeps the soil in the pot cool even in full sun. It's that evaporation process that causes the mineral build-up on the outside of the pot.

There is also some air penetration into the pot through the porous sides, which is very important for confined roots.

Reply to
David Ross

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of trying to seal a few of my clay pots with a clear spray acrylic. They looked pretty good the first season, but by the second season, the acrylic began to peel off in yellowish flakes, and it got progressively worse. Also, this did not deter the natural tendency for clay pots to leach mineral deposits. Finally, I used a wire brush to remove the rest of this yellow scale, so I was able to salvage the pots. Like others have said, due to the porous nature of clay, it is probably not a good idea to try to seal it. I do have a strawberry pot from Mexico that I acquired about 10 years ago. It has a black (tar?) sealant on the inside, but the outside was not treated. It has survived fairly well over the years. Every fall, I empty my clay pots, clean them, let them dry, and then store them upside down on a shelf out of the weather for the winter, so they won't get wet, freeze, and crack. Hope this is helpful. Gary

Reply to
Gary

Just set a plastic pot inside the clay pot. Problem solved.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

My grandmother used to line her clay pots w/aluminum foil - very simple, hidden, and effective solution.

Good luck - whatever you decide to try, Nicole

Reply to
Nicole Thompson

Reply to
Phisherman

The nurseries here sell a water-based proofing liquid. You paint the new pots with it (inside and out) and it soaks into the terra cotta. You let it cure for 24 hrs before use. The color of the pot is not affected. Graham

Reply to
Graham

Canning wax.

Reply to
Beecrofter

In a previous post on this thread I described a pot sealing solution. The product is:

"Seal-A-Pot" Distributed by: Haney Pottery Sales Ltd., Delta, B.C. Canada

For those south of the border, I would imagine that your local nursery could either order it from them or find out who the manufacterer is.

Graham

Reply to
Graham