Rhododendron needed

The only rhododendron I have been able to grow successfully is Rhododendron Ponticum. I would like to find one in pink or red that is as strong as Rhododendron Ponticum. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Ponticum is an invasive weed in Scotland. They have ponticum erradications programs there. Fortunately in the US they are not such a nuisance.

There are quite a few ponticums or ponticum hybrids:

Ponticum Roseum is pink and very cold hardy as well as sun and heat hardy.

Roseum is probably a different name for the same plant.

R. hyperythrum is related to Ponticum and is excellent in hot climates. That is because it is resistant to root rot. It has white flowers. But there are some hybrids o hyperythrum such as Peppermint Twist that retain this property and are pink.

Anah Kruschke is a ponticum seedling that has a reddish-purple flower.

Cunningham's Blush has blush pink flowers and is a ponticum hybrid.

I don't know of any red ponticums. There are purples and magentas.

It does very well from Ma> The only rhododendron I have been able to grow successfully is Rhododendron

Reply to
Stephen Henning