Retaining wall for RV

We bought a river camp and are parking a motorhome on it. The lot rarely floods, but I want a little extra insurance. I am going to make a raised pad using railroad ties. All I need is about two feet high.It would be easiest to fill in with gravel, but I am wondering if clean fill topped by gravel would be better. I intend to make it about 16 feet wide and park the RV in the middle until things seem to settle enough to move toward one side.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Dan Listermann

Do not leave an RV anywhere on that lot that has flooded previously, not even if you raise your pad 50 feet into the air and place your RV on top. Enjoy your lot but when you leave take your RV with you... if the river begins to rise while you're there get out of there fast.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I will have three positions for the RV, one by the riverside when there is no threat of flooding, one where it has only flooded three times in 20 years ( this is where I intend to raise the pad) and one where the river has never flooded in modern times. We only live 35 minutes away and the neighbors call around when things get dicy.

Reply to
Dan Listermann

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message news:a0d8e$49d0e436$4a53bf9f$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET...

A phone call from your neighbor is way too late when you and your family are asleep in that RV... in the middle of the night your neighbor will be asleep too, your neighbor won't know anything until light of day when it's noticed the river is raging over its banks and your RV is no longer there... and if you and your family were alseep in it you're very likely all dead. Flood plains tend to get "dicey" very rapidly and when least expected... You don't mention your location or describe the lay of your land but flash floods are often very common, especially with relatively small waterways, one minute a river bed can be bone dry and in the time it takes to suck down one beer it's a raging torrent... personally I wouldn't sleep the night in an RV set in a flood plain regardless how rarely you believe flooding occurs. Don't you see what's happening with the Red River... you wouldn't have posted asking for recommendations were you not concerned... it's your RV and it's your life. If you already have all the answers and apparently your mind is made up why pray tell did you ask for other's thoughts... you really ought to get the thoughts of your insurance company, it's pretty certain you won't be covered for any damage stemming from placing your RC in a flood plain, not even damage to others. Don't you realize that even if you're not there, when your RV goes barreling down stream and harms others and/or their property you would be personally liable, even if you're killed your estate would be liable. That you asked for thoughts on a newsgroup will be no defense.

Reply to
brooklyn1

What do you do for fun?

Reply to
Dan Listermann

He seems to tend towards Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personas.

Bill

Reply to
Bill