Planting boxes for flowers

I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I believe that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some railroad ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on going to the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered, or maybe just getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and mixing. But I don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I am planting these things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Southwest?

I read this question alot here. Here are a couple links to help you make a decision :

gunner

It shouldn't matter for flowers, you aren't going to eat them. If you are growing food then you absolutely don't want to use any sort of treated lumber.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph