best fill to use for garage?

Anyone know what is the lowest cost fill to use? What's the difference between granular a, b, c, 2" crushed stone etc? Should I just go for the lowest cost crushed stone mix?

I am backfilling a basement which is 4 feet deep and I intend to put a conrete floor on top for a garage. I've heard that sand is not good to use because in will settle. Is it best to use the largest crushed stone avaialble to minimize settling (or does it really matter)? When I order the gravel how much reduction in volume due to compaction should I allow?

Help appreciated. Thanks. Rob

Reply to
R&D

You need to have a little chat with your building inpsector. Amazing what you can learn from folks like that. After all, it's part of what you pay taxes for, right?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst