Add Sand to Rock Base for Retaining Wall Bricks ?

I'm putting in a low planter retaining wall along the fences in my back yard and want to know what the best material for a base is. These are the small locking retaining bricks and I'll go about four courses high for a total of about 12 to 14 inches. I need to put a base under them and will use rock, but I don't know whether to use river rock (pea gravel) or larger crushed rock. I'm putting a train track along the top, so it's important for these to be very stable.

Also, should I add some fill sand to whichever rock is used for the base to help lock it place, or will this interfere with drainage? Thanks in advance.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

I need to put a base under them and will use rock,

Dont use pea gravel..too "rolly" Use crushed rock, 3/4" minus, level and tamp down well, then its easy after that.

My wall is similar but its 35 feet long x 5 feet high using 84 lb: 18X12X8 interlocking blocks. Backfilled the courses, and behind the wall right to the top with the same gravel.

sand isnt required

Reply to
Rudy