potato barrel

I'm thinking about growing potato(e)s in a barrel this year. But I have a question.

From the pics I've seen on the web it looks like the potatoes produced

in the barrels are smaller than what I'm used to getting at the store. They are new potato size. That's a little small to be making potato salad for 12. On the other hand I could just be looking at the wrong pictures.

I'm planing on planting yukon gold but would like any information you can give about any type. Thanks.

Reply to
Jason Killen

Even if you got larger potatoes, it's pretty much a one-time crop, unless you can grow them all year. If I were you, I'd focus on growing a unique potato that you can't get at the store, and don't serve them in a way that's heavy handed & covers up the taste (like potato salad). Use store-bought potatoes for that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yukon Gold is an exceptionally yummy variety. They're available at Farmer's Markets here in Alaska, and they sell out *fast*. They're a good keeper.

If I only grow one variety of spud, that's the one.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora