Square Foot Gardens

Hi,

Just wondered how many actually utilize a SFG? Thanks

Reply to
Bette

I used to have what you might call a square foot garden back when I had limited space and didn't want to dig up my meager yard with a bunch of dirt rows. I had a series of 2 ft x 2 ft squares, raised bed with wood borders and wide grassy areas in-between. Grew some spices, tomatoes, and peppers... called it my salsa garden. I've seen some people do similar with paving bricks in the walkways. I prefer grass.

Now I own and live in a big commercial building with no yard but a big flat roof, so I've turned to hydroponics and potted plants. Tomatoes and peppers do great with hydroponics. Most of the spices are better in pots.

Later,

Thad

Reply to
thad01

I have been doing it for a number of years now. Works great.

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

I'm sure this method has been used for a long time.. I read a book on this when i was in high school.. I'm in my 30's now & in VA.. I find that it works very well in certain applications.. Certain plants work well together and some don't.. Some plants I prefer to give them a "lil'' more space...

Reply to
bizaareguy

Been doing the SFG thing for twenty years with 14 x 4 foot boxes Minimun effort and maximum results. Highly recommende

-- civis

Reply to
civis

I tried a similar thing last year, putting (literally not much mor than a square foot) a herb section at the side of my lawn.

Result!

The neighbour's dog, who used to dig holes in my lawn found my chive much easier to dig out

Bummer

-- ESGie

Reply to
ESGie