Plants that need little water

Hi everyone,

Any advice on what summer plants I can put in a tub that'll be in the sun but won't get much watering - long story I won't bore you with but I could really do with some advice. So far I've drawn a blank. Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steakandchips

Porchulaca (sp). I have heard some call it prim rose too. Bright flowers and very little water. MJ

Reply to
mj

Try googling

and have a look at

Reply to
Billy

First time poster here; YES, portulaca thrives on neglect, and dies in a spot with other plants getting plenty of water, I've learned. Pretty, cheerful, vibrant color. Downright promiscuous bloomers all season long.

Susan

Reply to
Susan

I grew up with Porchulaca but sadly it is not about. A remedial is in order.

Looks edible too. Sorry I can answer your specific query but I am grateful for the look about.

Porchulaca

You purists may want to look at the folks about. About 3 times...

Reply to
Bill who putters

Portulaca has succulent foliage, abd will do well with little water - any succulent will, and there are many. Zinnias, once established, seem to largely shrug off drought conditions, but will need watering once in a while. There are many others, too.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Succulents. Try pigface.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

In news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk, Steakandchips spewed forth:

Lantana

ChairMan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks guys, off to my garden centre tomorrow armed with all the info. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Steakandchips

I was going to say that. I believe lantana is in the mint family (square stem), but when I googled up mints I came up with average water needs. Not sure what is going on. I have had mixed luck and currently have none.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

May be of interest.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Jeff, Lantana is in the Verbena Family. (not all plants with square stems are Mint Family; but all mints have square stems).

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca
Reply to
Bill who putters

or

Reply to
Billy

Be careful growing orange poppies. We are at war to eradicate close relatives of that plant over in Afghanistan. I'm trying to start some California Poppy as I write this. Seems I get a show then 2 years later they die out. Good news while trying to do maintenance on my Japanese Jungle Garden I notice one variety of Spider Wort Blue has decided to come back. Would have wrote Transendentia but was not sure of the spelling.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Funny how that plant had been eradicated, until we showed up. Air America all over again, but that's a rant for another time ;O)

Reply to
Billy

It all makes so much sense, now!

If it wasn't for misconceptions, I'd have no conceptions.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Are you talking about gardening again? What are we gonna do with you ;O)

Reply to
Billy