Pinching back tomato plants

A friend recently told me that she pinches back her tomatoes for maximum production. Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure exactly what to pinch, just extraneous branches?

Reply to
BD

This article explains all

bungadora

Traditional wisdom is to pinch out the axils. I'm yet to be convinced that it makes a great deal of difference to the no. of tomatoes produced - it may or it may not but I guess it does no great harm to do it.

Just in case you don't know what an axil is (and forgive me if I'm teaching grandma how to suck eggs) an axil is the growth that appears between the main stem and the leaflets. It first appears as a small set of leaves, but as it grows it looks more branch like.

Reply to
FarmI

Reply to
John McGaw

I have never done this. But I have removed the first two branches to encourage the tomato to grow upright on a stake or cage. Other times I allow the tomato to vine on the ground, mulched with straw. I doubt pinching back would increase production, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

Good reading. Thank you for sharing.

I did not prune my Husky at all; it grows like a tidy bush and gave excellent production last year, outlasted the other varieties. Beefstake, Early Girl, Better Boy were desuckered and caged. I'm curious to see if the Husky or Early Girl will produce the first ripe tomatos.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks everyone, the info - especially the article- was helpful.

Reply to
BD

Yes, no, maybe, and it depends.

Mostly on where you live, and the type of tomato. Some varieties do better when pinched back to one or two main stalks, then tied to a trellis, maximizing output, and keeping the number of fruit lower so they all mature before winter. There are some varieties that are bush types, and others that do nicely on the ground. Check with local nurseries or university and state co-ops for help for YOUR area. Your question is like, "How is the weather going to be tomorrow." Well, where I am, the forecast is for warm and clear. But where you live, it may be entirely different.

I suggest you read the article, and probably the types of tomatos you grow will be mentioned as to the best method.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Charlie