Pests????

I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.

This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.

I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Tony Ellis

Squirrels?

Reply to
Billy

just curious tony,

you found a huge ?? digging in your patio pots.

as for the birdsi don't think seagulls are into pulling and eating plants, not so sure pigeons will either they are seed eaters, dunno about jackdaws dunno what type of bird they are, but if they are vegetation eaters then maybe not guilty either.

so we need to hear what large something was digging in the pots.

but sounds a little like maybe human intervention?? for a whole plant to dissapear not many bugs can do that.

grassh snipped

Reply to
gardenlen

So something cut them off at ground level and removed the plant leaving the roots, is that right?

I don't share your range of fauna but I very much doubt that this was birds. It is either a human or an animal with teeth. Examine the stumps closely. Were they cut or chewed off?

In these parts I would say possum.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Reply to
Tony Ellis

Jackdaw..........a relative of the American Crow. Check out Wikipedia: Jackdaw. Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

I think it was another person's doing, couldn't be a bug of any kind and if an animal of any kind had been at it, you'd be able to tell because there would be mess left behind.

Reply to
hollierose

Rats.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It wouldn't be rats.

Reply to
hollierose

I have had squirrels dig up pots on decks and scatter dirt all over the place. This time of year is prime time for them..

Can't say about the primulas, though, I have seen whole new-growth plants vanish early in the spring on the deck.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I've found that covering the pot with chicken wire discourages the squirrels.

Reply to
Billy

Oh, indeed it does, but in season, I am liable to have 75 pots and planters scattered on the decks, hardly manageable with chicken wire.

Still, evil though I believe the squirrels are (and I can relate tales of their home invasions, too), they do, at times, offer up gifts that are surprising and rewarding. I have had sunflowers come up all over the place, and have acquired a couple of nut trees. They trees may likely never produce, but I love nurturing something that springs up unplanned and unbidden.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar