my tulips are too short??

My tulips bloomed ...but they are coming up like crocus, really close to the ground??

Reply to
tammieallison

Planted too deep, maybe? Were they just planted last fall, or have they been there for a few years?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

THe weather is, at least, partly to blame. It also depends on what variety you are growing. Some are fairly short.

Do you know what variety of tulips you planted?

Reply to
Bill R

I remember one year I purchased a few dozen bulbs at a very discounted price. . .They all came up with short stems. The following year, I bought some better quality bulbs, planted them the same depth and they were beautiful. I think the quality of the bulbs can sometimes make a difference.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

there are 15 different types of tulips.....the short ones are Waterlily tulips or Kaufmanniana Hybrid tulips. they never get more than three to eight inches tall bloom and all. And there are the species tulips from which all tulips were bred originally. You need to tell us what kind so we can help you. The rule of thumb for bulbs and seeds is plant three times the depth to the size of the bulb/seed. aka tulip bulb (say a "regular" size, would be about six inches, a species tulip bulb is smaller, so it would go about 3-4 inches deep) seeds are the SAME, which is why poppy seeds have to be scattered on the top of the soil so they are sun germinated........ I hope this helps. madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English Mountian in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

thanx.....that is what happened, they were promos...after all they are different and they are very pretty!

Reply to
tammieallison