OT; Interesting Plant Growth

I found a plant growing wild in So. Cal. The early part of the growth, the lower section of the plant had regular leaves, but the upper part had apparently abandoned the leaves and the stems had grown frills, or something; raised sections along each part of the stem on either side, flat and about 1/2 inches wide.

My guess water that it changed to this form of growth to conserve water.

there is probably a name for this type growth and for this plant, I know neither.

Reply to
Charles

Are you familiar with Euonymous alatus (Burning Bush, Winged Spindle Tree etc.). It produces blade-like corky ridges, (green to purplish brown), along the young twigs, but the ridges break off on older twigs. Is the adaptation you found similar?

Reply to
eclectic

Somewhat similar. It didn't look like the web pictures I found of Euonymous alatus. In the area where the winged ridges were present there were no leaves, like the plant had shifted modes of growth.

I checked the California flora book I have (Jepson), Euonymous is listed, but not growing in the same conditions I found this plant. The one I found was in dry mountains, fully exposed to the sun, and very little water, seasonal in the winter. The ridges didn't appear corky, but that could have happened later in the year.

Reply to
Charles