Tomato Salvage?

Hi,

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Anyway, one tomato plant had a section broken off of the top. The detached piece is maybe five inches of the central stem, with some leaves.

If I put it in a glass of water, can it start growing roots?

Is the main plant likely to regenerate, or to bypass growth around the injury? Especially considering that it was the central stem that got broken?

Thanks...

Reply to
Usenet2007

Try it. Otherwise you will never know. Try using a dilute nutrient solution. Maybe try a rooting hormone.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Where are you that the wind is so bad? Is this abnormal?

Go for it. It's your best option.

My peppers did.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.

For western NZ no, unfortunately.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Then a wind break is needed.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

And spritz the top with a sprayer a few times a week.

Reply to
Omelet

we get that Dick, february and march we get a break from the wind. It comes back though.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Clever response!

I should have written a wind barrier. My garden has a house on the north lines of trees about 60 ft (19 meters) way on the other sides.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

yeah, I knew what you meant. Mine was a sarcastic remark aimed at the very moderate summer (I think we had it tuesday) we have had so far, wind, drizzle and very moderate temperatures. We had frosts down south just before christmas and temperatures for NY eve low to mid teens in areas it should be mid 20's upwards.

rob

Reply to
George.com