OT a newsgroup fright

well this says it all considering my dependence on the computer and coming to chat with my garden friends. I was going to post Gloria's request to DAvid a short bit ago, and earlier had this "blue screen of death" come up and youngest son had advised me to hold the start up button down for a minute until the computer shut down and reboot. (the message had said it was deleting files and unnecessary memory......freaked me OUT) then I get this other message that said something about Wizard software and Eternet installation, and I just closed it since Squire and son are gone for a week and the computer isn't networked at the moment....(woo hoo, no fighting to download messages or my comics!! I have a PHONE LINE and it's slower than a seven year itch with a ten year scratch........) SOOOOOOOO's I close that window, go about my business and when I go to the newsgroup, I get this "unknown error" message with the exclamation in the little triangle and don't panic. I go to the bianaries picture newsgroup I had subscribed to after I relocated it and posted my picture of the Cereus and it said the same thing only now it says low memory or low disk space.....hmmmmmmmm lovely.

I try to reach Bell South tech support and thanks to the worldwide virus (I don't have the virus, I used a security patch just in time) they're overwhelmed and please call back next year (just kidding, but they were on automatic and I never got a human which is unusual). So I go to my crib notes and start looking up the problems. Ok, so I discover in my properties portion after going to the tools setting, I now have LAN checked which I knew hadn't been checked before. So making Squire crazy, I called him again (this time it was just as his food was coming to the table.....I have PERFECT timing when I call, I'm known as Marilyn-interruptus among my closer friends.......) Apparently somehow the computer gremlins had reset my connections button and it was a simple proceedure. I will always be amazed by this miracle gift of technology, but it makes me nuts when Squire is gone and he's the one who usually trouble shoots these things, and even he doesn't know everything he wants to about these things. He built mine, and his computer and everyone in the house, but he didn't go to college and learn all he wanted to which he'd love to, but you know how that goes..........

So bottom line is, I'm back and it wasn't serious this time. But now I have this problem with the car and I have to be at work tomorrow morning at 6 and driving a car in the dark on a country back road with no walking shoulders on the roads and no cell phone and nothing for 10 miles but houses and pastures and farm land is freaky if I break down. I sure can tell Mars is messing with the mechanical.............just hope I can see the once in a lifetime display on the 27th.....and that the car problem hangs on for one more day...........sigh......thanks for letting me vent. madgardener where it rained yet another day and the six day forcast is for rain every day this week.................................time to get out the John boat I guess.............. up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

"madgardener" wrote in news:LCU%a.13746$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.atl.webusenet.com:

hehe, when it rains, it really does pour. Hope you have better weather, computer- and plant-wise coming soon.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Mad, you should get a cell phone just for emergencies. You can do that relatively cheap now. I would feel un-safe without mine.

A yr. or so ago i opened a picture on that binaries NG and it wiped out everything i had in Agent. All my groups and saved messages. I ended up getting it all back, some how, but i don't check out those groups anymore. Glad your computer is ok. ?

Reply to
jammer

that sounds like the virus that my son had hiding in one of his MP3 files on my computer that did the same thing, only I lost a whole year's worth of JPG's that were just going to be saved onto cd...........irreplacable pictures, like the great Thanksgiving we had, my mother's 80th birthday when we were all able to drive down there and celebrate it with her and my mom's family........awesome flower pictures, not to mention lots of others..........this is why I wish Squire's computer cd burner was working. Makes me nervous to not be able to burn the pictures I have on the Paint Shop Pro onto cd right now. Little side note on the cell phone thing. One of the things I had to laugh about listening to the news coverage when the black out occured up Northeast, most people were surprised that the old fashioned land lines worked just fine but the cell phones were out. My cell phone is off now because of financial problems, but I still have my land line. And not only the portable (which won't work when the power goes out) but a REAL land line, a plugged in regular phone I keep in the head board of my bed in the bedroom just in case someone calls in the middle of the night about his mama, my mom, etc........). When Squire gets back I am looking into getting a replacement burner for him to back up the stuff so I don't lose my pictures again. Now if we can only get back to mom this year for her

Reply to
madgardener

Mars has got nothing to do with it, whether you believe in astrology or not -- Windows is simply a load of crap. Back when I had dialup, Windows was always setting itself to a LAN connection after a crash. The other problem of course is that it crashes too much. The only version I've had that hasn't done anything weird and inexplicable (I started with 95) is XP. Since I don't depend on any Windows programs, and I used Unix in college, I run Linux on my desktop system and only use XP on my laptop because I don't have time to get Linux working with the undocumented devices on the laptop and occasionally I find a multimedia file I want in a format that nobody has entirely figured out for Linux yet. If I wasn't comfortable with Linux, I'd have tossed the Intel hardware long ago and bought a Mac.

Reply to
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Hi Mad!!!!

Something similar happened to me. I have been in Alaska for 3 weeks and when I returned, my phone line was dead, my cell phone is dead, and my computer had that blasted blaster worm. It took a week for the phone to get fixed, and got the cell phone straightened out. Also, I got the virus gone and the patch put on (oh no! my computer is on the patch!) Then I finally go into my newsgroups to find out that my server has done weird things and I had to go into my server's web page to find out how to set up new accounts in my newsgroups. Well, finally, I got it done!

The flowers in Alaska were beautiful. We also stopped in Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia and was able to squeeze in a visit to Butchart Gardens. They were fantastic!

Hoped to come up your way during Labor Day weekend but Cades Cove is already full. We might go stay at Cosby campground.

loony

Reply to
loonyhiker