Moving Lilies, when and how...

I think they are Tiger lilies or Oriental lilies. Grow in bushes, seem to like shade to part-shade, they grow grow grow.

Seem hardy enuf to move now. I want to move the bushes to under some rose of sharon trees. But I have stray clusters of different varieties/colours. Can I dig up the strays and put them in one or two big holes. Will the different varieties/colours fight with each other? Prefer to do it now (early August) because of furthur yardwork that needs to be done.

Zone 5a/5b border. Ontario Canuckistan.

Reply to
Hench

the longer you can leave them alone before they go dormant the better as this is when they are transferring energy from the leaves to the bulbs.

if you are going to move them during an active growing period make sure to get as much of the intact root ball as possible and water it immediately after moving it.

some may not like it, but if these are mostly extra plants anyways it is not a huge problem.

as for combining in one hole and letting them sort it out that is one method, but you will likely affect the number and quality of blooms by crowding them too closely.

songbird

Reply to
songbird