Calla Lilies

Finding nothing on Google regarding the *care* of Calla Lilies can someone here direct me to a website or explain the care of these plants? They do well for us over the summer but never survive the winter, either left in their pots in a cool place or bagged and kept over in a cool room. How does one keep these plants alive over their rest period? Anyone.... ?

Thank you

MsLaura

Reply to
MsLaura

Probably depends on where you are.

At my mom's house in Oregon they are planted in the ground, and have been increasing for years. In the far when they die back we cut off all the dead stuff, the come up in the spring. Dear lie in them, that's a problem.

Reply to
Charles

--------------------- I live in zone 6. They will not live over the winter here if left outside, or we would leave them in the ground. We must bring them in. How are they kept alive over the winter indoors?

MsLaura

Reply to
MsLaura

This was the first year I overwintered mine indoors and surprisingly I did

*something* right...

I had mine in a pot last summer and kept them in the same pot over the winter. When the leaves died, I cut them all back. Over the winter they were kept near an east window and watered only when completely dry. The room I kept them in is what I call my "bedroom greenhouse" because it's where I keep all my overwintering plants as well as my orchids. It has a supplemental "garage" style floresent fixture that is on 16 hours a day, a humidifier and the room is probably kept around 65-67 degrees.

Sometime in February I noticed the callas starting to send up shoots so I moved the planter directly under the light fixture and started watering a little more frequently (didn't saturate the pot, but didn't let it get completely dry). I've not got two completely unfurled leaves and many more shoots coming up so have started fertilizing with some fish emulsion.

Don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but it worked for me.

Cheryl

Reply to
clc

I cut mine back also. The tops had completely turned brown.

Over the winter they

Then I assume yours had a few leaves all winter???

The

Wow! :-))) When I unpotted mine last week all I found were the remains of what were their bulbs or tubers. I had not watered them once the leaves died down last fall.

It sounds so similar to what I did. Did yours die down completely in winter to keep a leaf or two?

Laura

Reply to
Ms.Laura

Mine completely died back so it looked like I just had a pot full of dirt.

Cheryl

Reply to
clc