transplanting Tiger Lilies

Our neighbour gave us some Tiger Lilies plants. She put them in a container and covered them with soil. How do I plant these ? I mean, do I plant them the way they came out of her garden, foliage all in tact? Or do I plant them and cut them back ? . Or is it perhaps better to wait till Fall and plant the tubers ? Also, do these lilies have to be planted in full sunshine, or do they tolerate shade. We are in S.Ontario, and it is very warm here now. I don't like to waste these attractive plants. Thanks ! Ben.

Reply to
Ben Tuinman

Plant them now. They like full sun to part sun. They will survive shade, but they don't bloom well in shade. Just to make it easier, I would cut them back to about 4 inches before planting. You can plant them as-is but they will look messy for the rest of the season.

Reply to
Vox Humana

When I was a child, my parents had a bed full or what they called tiger lilies. But as well as I can remember, they had foilage like daylilies, not like lilies.

Is there such a thing as a tiger daylily? I've been unable to locate any such plant. Could be my memory is mistaken after all these years.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard