Ismini Lilies

Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of them in a plant exchange and the person who dropped them off did not leave any instructions for them other than the needed to be dug up every year. He also told the people running the exchange that the bulbs came from Japan and have bloomed for over 50 years. Looking at them you can see that they have started growing again. I have no idea if they take sun or shade or what. Any ideas?

Sue E.

Reply to
Boots

Boots Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of the

in a plant exchange and the person who dropped them off did not leave any instructions for them other than the needed to be dug up every year. He also told the people running the exchange that the bulbs came from Japan and have bloomed for over 50 years. Looking at them you can see that they have started growing again. I have no idea if they take sun or shade or what. Any ideas?

Sue E.

hi boots sorry the person didnt tell u more about your lilies:(. i di a search but didnt really come up with anything. what i would do is follow the same care instructions as u would for an other lily and then see what happens. here is a link that might help u.

gives u the care of lilies but also u can contact them and ask the if they know anything about the lilies:). good luck sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

Thanks

I kind of thought I would, I just wanted to make sure about how much sun or shade, but I guess I could always move them if need be.

Sue E.

Reply to
Boots

Yes, I have had them.... first saw them growing naturally in the BVI. Sea Daffodil, Peruvian Daffodil are other common names, if I've not made a huge leap of assumption.

Ismene ( try that spelling instead of Ismini) are closely related to Amaryllis, so if you are colder than a USDA zone 9, they need to be lifted in the fall. They don't like it colder than 50 F. Plant in full sun or part, a well drained location is best.

They are beautiful with a lovely fragrance, but not a long flowering period.

Good Luck!

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
Sue Burnham

Ismene, aka Peruvian daffodil, aka sea daffodil. Hymenocallis spp.

They cannot take temps below 50oF, and must be stored warm and dry in the winter. Grow in full sun; containers are usually easiest.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster