Mosquito Repellent

Hi,

I saw a AgraCo Mosquito Patch in the store today. Has anyone tried them? I am bug fodder when outside which curtails any but minimal gardening.

Anything else to try that I needed coat myself with?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Deep Woods Off. But try to minimize spraying it on your skin.

Don't wear blue shirts.

Take Vitamin B-complex.

Eat garlic.

If you're really sensitive, get one of those new-fangled Mosquito trap things that use propane to generate CO2. The mossies are attracted by you breathing. Those trap things work. A neighbor of ours lives in a swamp and her yard is mossie-free during the summer. We're in Alaska.

Any of the repellents with a high DEET content will work, but that stuff will probably kill you in the long run. But death in the future is always better than death from blood loss today.

Here's a pretty good website:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Deep Woods Off is what I use. It is very effective. Helps keep ticks off too. Now if I can only get something that works well on chiggers.

I heard any dark-colored clothing. Loose white clothes are best.

Haven't heard this one.

I have been taking garlic pills for over 10+ years. It makes the surface of the skin stink, but has no effect on mosquitoes (at least on me).

Avoid eating bananas spring through early fall. At first I didn't believe this one, but found it's true.

Smoke of any sort wards off mosquitoes. I don't like cigarette smoke, but "punks" work well although short lasting.

Mosquitoes can easily breed in any standing stagnant water. Empty out saucers, bird baths, watering cans, clean gutters, etc. Old tires make a perfect mosquito breeding ground. Eggs hatch out in 2-3 days and can emerge as adults in as little as five days.

Encourage bats and birds to your property. Mosquitoes would prefer to bite a bird rather than a human.

Having a well-maintained pond with rosy reds and goldfish will actually reduce mosquito population. You can even use a whiskey barrel with one or two small fish (no need to feed the fish!). The eggs are laid, but the high-protein larvae are quickly eaten up. I haven't yet used mosquito dunks.

Mosquitoes are usually hunting at dusk. Sometimes it is better to be in the sun rather than shade. Unfortunately, there are many varieties and in east TN we have the little striped Asian mosquito that will bite you in full sun in the middle of the day.

Reply to
Phisherman

Combination of CO2, water vapor, and warmth attracts mosquitos. This time of the year, if I hand water after 4 PM, I attract a cloud of skeeters. After 5 PM I attract the same crowd and I don't have to do nuthin'. After things dry out (June) the worst will be over. They also try to avoid light colored clothing. I guess they don't like being targets either. (a big woof to Joe;-))

Reply to
Billy