Is it more efficient to grow in containers or right in the ground?

Is it more efficient to grow vegetables in containers or right in the ground?

Reply to
Mark

In the ground, if you have a choice.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

reason I ask this stupid question is that I will have to grow it on the slope. And I know, that organic matter leeches out very fast. Any ideas?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Reply to
Mark

I've tried both ways. Mine do better in the ground.

Reply to
Mindful

You may want to try terracing.

Reply to
Mindful

Reply to
Mark

How do you know organic matter leaches out?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

We replace the organic matter twice a year. We till in home made compost with some woodash from the woodstove in early spring. We do it again in fall. In spring we also till in composted cow manure, blood and bone meal and Ironite from the store along with the compost we make ourselves. We use almost no commercial fertilizer. We mulch everything with a less advanced, coarser compost.

Reply to
Mindful

In ground growing is almost always better if the soil is good. You will use less fertilizer and water. Growing in ground can expose your plants to soil borne pathogens and pests, but in most cases these can be controlled in a garden setting.

Layne

Reply to
Layne