How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Moth balls have absolutely no business being in or near edible plants. Since you don't like my comments about dogs, you probably won't believe me, so you might want to call your local poison control center and ask them about it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

Reply to
dr-solo

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:lFqTf.3205$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

i realize your neighbors are idiots & have badly trained dogs, but not all, or even most, dogs are like that. really. i'm NOT a dog person, but 99% of problem dogs are stupid owners... not only that, but most of those problem dogs could fairly easily be retrained to be good dogs if thier owners cared. i have neighbors with barky dogs (fortunately they're 1/4 mile away). i *did* have a newbie ex-city neighbor who let his dog roam, but the application of a $500 fine stopped that pretty quick...(or said dog was about to meet my .22). the problem is stupid humans, not the dogs. lee

Reply to
enigma

Arman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

you have a toddler? forget the mothballs!!! you shouldn't use them in near food anyway, but they're VERY toxic (and very attractive to toddlers). i strongly suspect doggy boredom, so try taking care of that first. if the plant pots are not very accessable to the child, you might try a solar powered electric fence around them. my son knew all about electric fences at 2, so if you can explain not touching the wires, your child should be ok. oh, you could possibly use an invisble fence to keep the dogs out too... i just use electric fence for my dogs because thier play area is fed off my pasture fencing. lee

Reply to
enigma

Well, that's mostly correct. Too many owners have those stupid extendable leash things, and let their dogs run 30 feet into other peoples' property, which often means "right in the flower beds". I ask them politely to not let their dogs stop in my yard in the future, and they say "Well...I'm gonna clean it up". Ummm...no. The dog just pissed on my flower bed, and I'm 2 minutes away from wanting to work with my hands in that very spot. And, even if they clean up the crap, the scent remains and attracts stray dogs, something I've observed for over 25 years. So, the only acceptable response, when I tell them to do it elsewhere, is "Yes. OK." But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, dogs train humans to do what's convenient, not what's considerate, intelligent and legal.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

This is not good, teaching them it's bad to follow your lead. Try mouse traps, immediate and virtually harmless reinforcement.

Reply to
J.R. in MI

Hey guys don't waste energy discussing dogs with Doug: he doesnt' like dogs; he's very vocal about it....... Period.

That's OK though, we love him anyway!

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

It's a waste of energy because I'm totally correct. I'm correct because I'm good at compartmentalizing, which keeps me from being swayed by the fact that some dogs are actually cute. This keeps my observations pure.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi lee,

thank you for the suggestion. my skin kid is now 1.5 yrs old and my fu kids are now 4 yrs old, so i guess the mothballs are out. where did get ur fence? how much did it cost to get it installed?

thanks again, arman

-- Arman

Reply to
Arman

I take it you are growing plants, not veges. If this is so the moth balls won't be dangerous to you directly as you won't be eating the plants. I suggest putting them in a sock or something so they can be moved when you water and then placed back. Children are a worry yes, part of that depends on where the plants are and whether your child has access to the garden. If there is any doubt then you most likely won't want to use moth balls. I have seen camphor inpregnated saw dust and have used that around my garden. It breaks down with weathering, I have used that and would recommend it over moth balls.

rob

Reply to
George.com

which is something dog owners take into account when owning them. Kids destroy things and cost a shit load of money and still destroy things as they get older (like cars, nights sleep and bank balances) but we still have them as well.

rob

Reply to
George.com

wear gloves, end of problem.

And, even

like wearing gardening gloves

rob

Reply to
George.com

destruction

no, both my dogs have grown more sedate with age. Even hyper active puppy has moderated. She may still be bouncy but is knows the limits now. Older lazy mutt was lazy as a pup but gets lazier with age.

As it is, some destructive kids grow into even more vile adults. We have things called prisons for them.

rob

Reply to
George.com

major problem in your analogy, spray painting property (public or private) is deemed a crime. A dog pissing in your garden is not. Not picking up dog crap in a public place is punishable by a local body fine. No local body has yet figured out how to make a dog owner pick up dog piss.

Far easier for them to insist people who have problems with dog piss wear gardening gloves I would imagine.

On the matter of urine Doug, where does your own urine go? Or your pooh? Do you dispose of it on your own property or is it pumped to a municipal waste treatment facility? What potential harm is your own crap doing to water ways, local and global? Can I insist you only dump in your own back yard?

rob

Reply to
George.com

my comments are not aimed at you, but rather at the dog haters so please don't take offence. You talk about dog proofing your house. That to me seems a sensible option as a dog owner until the mutt learns the house rules.

Is this not something we do as parents, child proof our house? Do we style our environment to safe guard it (and our possessions) from small children roaming or do we simply say 'Johnny is a naughty little shit because he will piss his pants, crap in the corner, get into the cupboards and maybe swallow some poison' and turn into a kid hater.

rob

Reply to
George.com

When I walk my dogs I exercise control to ensure they piss in appropriate places. If the mutt wanders onto someones property I go and retrieve it. I don't make it a habit Doug of encouraging my mutts to piss in neighbours gardens. Most all dog owners I know exercise the same approach. I doubt the police will be too concerned with my walking on to someones property to retrieve my dog.

and that is a highly subjective measure Doug, 'where someone needs to work', and requires a degree of omnipotence. I am not always able to forsee where a person may want to work when walking my dogs. Clearly I do not expect anyone to want to work on the tree in the next 5 minutes or a bushy clump of weeds along the front wall of their section. Whilst efforts are made to ensure dogs piss in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion they piss in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are very simple things to use.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Yeah, but as the years pass by, most kids become adults. Dogs, on the other hand, are just as disgusting and destructive regardless of their age.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You said I should wear gloves. Do you understand that by saying that, you've stepped into a logical and legal quagmire, and that a judge would lead your around his/her courtroom by the nose until you confessed to being silly? Here's what the judge would probably ask you to think about. You notice some noise outside your house. You step outside and see someone spray painting words on your house in day-glo orange. While your wife's calling the cops, you restrain the guy and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. He says "Wear a blindfold, or stay inside and don't look".

When the police arrive, what would you expect them to do? How would you expect all of it to proceed, from start to finish? Most important, which basic law was broken when the person spray painted your house? Hint: The law is basically the same everywhere in the United States, Canada, and most of Europe.