How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Hi All,

I usually lurk around here and this is my very first post. I hav recently taken up container gardening in my rooftop (its a rente apartment) and I DO NOT have a green thumb. However after 3 months o trying, I now I have reasonably good looking plants that I have manage not to kill from watering too much or too little. In fact they ha bloomed so I presumed that I was doing well. Now my dogs have dug u half my garden. They have dug out the plants, chewed on them (they ar canine safe), dug out all the soil from the pots and basically kille my plants.

this isn't the first time this has happened, but usually they woul target one plant and cease such destructive activities when i moved th offending plant to some place they don't have access too. but now thi is too much, they've dug up ALL the plants they could get their paws o .. grrrrr!!

so i guess what i am asking is ... has anyone out there had thi problem? and what did you do about it? how do i get them to keep thei paws off my containers? i have 2 dogs and i love to death :) i woul rather give up gardening then my dogs, but i would love a solution tha would enable them to co-exist.

Thanks in advance, Arman

-- Arman

Reply to
Arman

Supervision, training, or a fence/barrier. Any of the three will work.

Reply to
Toni

You can try putting some hardware cloth *available at any hardware store) over the soil. The dogs probably will be put-off by the texture. Also, pet stores sell repellant sprays to keep dogs away from areas. I'm not sure they work very well, but they are inexpensive and you might give it a try. My neighbors put mothballs in their container and claim it keeps the wildlife away. I find the smell unpleasant and it drifts into my yard. Again, you might try, but if you have close neighbors, you might talk to them first.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I am going to give it a shot. Firs the hardware cloth, then the mothballs. One question tho, is mothball safe for both the plants & the dogs? Wouldn't want it to cause mor harm then good.

Thanks again, Arman.

p.s. Mothballs used to keep my cats off from plants but they neve showed any tendency to chew on them .. but i am sure the dogs will be different story

-- Arman

Reply to
Arman
[I just walked in to my garden to discover that my 12 year old yorkshir

terrier has dug out the newly planted bedding plants from a container o the desking. I have had to replant them and remove the chew stick tha she has buried. The dog just stood there and give me a look as much a to say Why are you disturbing my chew stick. She walk off and give m another backwards glance of contempt. Why is it that I have a larg garden , full of beds but she always choses to dig in the containers. think we both have the same problem but I unfortunately do not have a answer! Sorry Stephanie R QUOTE=Arman]Hi All,

[...]

-- Stephanie R

Reply to
Stephanie R

Mothballs are poison. Not safe at all for dogs or for people. My dogs will eat anything, so mothballs are something I would never put where they could access them.

Jacqui

Reply to
axemanchris

thanks Jacqui, think i will steer clear of the mothballs then. another suggestion from a doggie board, put pepper spray on q-tip an smear it on the leaves to discourage dogs from biting, pulling ou plants. think it will work?

Stephanie, i understand your pain !!

take care, arman

-- Arman

Reply to
Arman

The pepper spray might work. Pet shops also carry a bitter apple spray that your dog might hate. I have 2 basset hounds that love to chew just about anything. They will, however, not chew anything that the bitter apple is on. You would have to reapply bitter apple or pepper spray every so often, especially after you've watered the plants or it rains.

Jacqui

Reply to
axemanchris