How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Arman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

we installed our own fencing... we have electric fencing for our livestock pasture, so we just put in temporary fence poles (used for dividing pasture usually) & strung electric fence wire at 1', 2' & 4' (my dogs are big). then we ran a wire from the pasture fence to the dog fence to charge it. basic livestock fencing isn't too expensive. the chargers are the most expensive part (unless you get rolls of portable fence. that stuff is expensive!). chargers here costs around US$80-100, for under 5 miles. i think you might want to look for a local 'invisible fence' supplier. they install a radio fence line below ground & the dogs wear a collar with a transponder. if they get too close to the buried line, they get a shock. the advantage to that over electric fence is the child won't accidentally get shocked by touching the fence. lee -- war is peace freedom is slavery ignorance is strength

1984-George Orwell
Reply to
enigma

And (many) adults are not disgusting and destructive?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

I feel your pain... I got a new six pound little yorkie for Christmas. This cute yorkie in three months, has dumped two house plants and scattered them all over the living room carpet. Chewed the bark off some of my outside rose bushes.

I have tried to doggie proof my home by putting the plants on higher tables, making it difficult for this little yorkie (half dog, half cat and half fox) to be so destructive.

I have seen a product called "Scat Mat" which is like barbed wire that is made with plastic instead of metal at

I have not purchased it yet and I do not know if it works.

I have also found an excellent dog training book called, "Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons". A very useful book!

I hope this response helps :) Dan............. =================================================== Do not respond by email, I hope it doesn't work :)

Reply to
Dan L.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

Reply to
dr-solo

You're making this too complicated. If a homeowner tells you to take your dog elsewhere, you have no choice but to obey. Otherwise, you've committed civil trespass. That's illegal, and you can be arrested for it. The person spray painting your house has committed the same crime, along with one or two others.

As far as where my excrement goes, that's a silly question. I don't do it in places where I need to work with my hands. If you think it's cute to let your dog piss where someone needs to work, why not let your animal piss on your kitchen counters, your remote controls, your ironing board, and your steering wheel?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If a property owner tells you not to enter, you have no choice but to comply. Your opinion is of no consequence.

You're in no position to assume ANYTHING about another person's property. If this is not true, then, if I want to apply sealer to my driveway on a nice warm day, it'll be OK with you if I park my car in YOUR driveway, blocking in your cars for the 48 hours it takes for my driveway to be ready for use again. Clearly, I do not expect anyone in your house to want to drive anywhere in the next 48 hours.

Garden gloves covered in piss are not my idea of a good time. However, I understand that some people get sort of a sick thrill out of playing with human waste. It's a treatable condition.

Mind if I ask how old you are?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You object to wearing gloves while gardening to keep from getting dog urine on your hands, yet you willingly put your hands into living soil that has an untold number of microbes, bacteria, worms, insects, crustaceans, etc., all excreting their waste byproducts exactly where your working.

Things that make you go 'Hmmmm'.

Bill

-- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Reply to
Bill

appropriate

not my point, not the point I was making

again, not my point.

35
Reply to
George.com

Two "not my points" in a row. How convenient. What *IS* your point?

Thank you.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

if my mutt strayed into someones garden I would go and retrieve him. If the home owner was home I would asked their permission. If they asked me to go I would but would expect them to deal with the matter of mutt on property and do so humanely without harm to dog else they would meet my baseball bat. Ie, I respect peoples right to protect their property and who comes on to their property.

see above.

yes, it is convenient. I simply walk onto the property and get dog and if owners are home, tell them what I am doing there, what I intend to do and check they are ok with that. If they ask me to leave I do so. Very convenient and simple to do. Much the same I suppose as you would react if a Jehovahs Witness or Mormon came knocking on your door.

Reply to
George.com

Good. I just wanted to be sure you understood the concept of private property, the violation of which generates almost as many court appearances as do speeding tickets.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

appearances

Doug, rest assured I understand private property. I also work to develop relations with neighbours. Walking the mutts and having a yack to the community is a good way of developing a neighbourhood network. I do not fixate on it however like say, some of the libertarian nutters who take private property to an extreme and start moaning about 'all taxation being theft' etc. Those f wits are so out of touch with reality they need to be committed. I do however accord peoples home and gardens the same respect I would expect of others. In my view, neighbourhoods, communities and societies are based on reciprocal arrangements and the building of social capital and interdependancies. Slavish adherence to individualism destroys that. I have found that simple thigs, like giving away summer plums to neighbours or grapes when in season, creates relationships over time. Things my grand parents and parents did/do. Something younger generations (mine and below) seem to have lost a command of in some respects.

rob

rob

Reply to
George.com

Reciprocal arrangements - I like that! Here's one: When dog owners license their little pets, they should be required to provide a DNA sample from the dog, and depost $1000.00 into an escrow account which we normal people can draw on when we need to have our carpets cleaned or replaced because your beasts crapped on our lawns. Now we're talking personal responsibility!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Don't people take personal responsibility for protecting their own carpets by checking their own shoes when they come in from the garden (for mud, grass, water or oil, as well as dog dirt). ?

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

When I come home from "the outside world", of course I check my shoes, or more likely, remove them. On my own property, there is never spilled oil. If I'm gardening and it's muddy, I adjust my behavior. That's MY choice.

Janet, you're a smart lady. Here's a statement:

"I want to go outside at midnight, wander around my yard, look at the stars, and see if the moonflowers have opened".

Please tell me what I said in that sentence. It's an exercise of sorts.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:NmyVf.5162$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

you know, Doug, there are a large variety of fences available that would solve your neigbor dog issues. if you can't simply ask your neighbors nicely to keep thier dogs off the lawn and/or clean up after them, then the next logical step is to prevent the dogs from getting access to the lawn to start with... a fence. doesn't have to be a huge hulking 6' barracade (although that might suit you ;) ). most city dogs aren't very big & a 3 foot picket fence would be sufficient physical barrier without making you appear anti-social. plus it gives you a nice background to plant climbing roses & clematis on... i dunno what area of Rochester you live in though... i was from Irondequoit, with pretty big yards (to a 4 year old anyway), but some neighborhoods have pretty tiny yards (like my MIL on Culver... well, *i* think her yard is tiny but i'm on 62 acres, so bias is present. anyway, wouldn't it easier on you to find a solution than to let the inconsiderate idiots eat at you like they seem to? i mean, i have 2 dogs, BIG dogs (because what's the point in owning a dog too small to see?) & even though i'm in a rural area, i do not let my dogs leave droppings where ever. that's just wrong. lee

Reply to
enigma

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:ZGzVf.3970$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

well, yes, i understood that. i've seen very few strays wandering around there when i visit. i understand it tends to cost the owner a chunk of change to retrieve Fido from Lollypop Farm. however...

are your easements, in fact, 8 feet? it's possible they're as narrow as 4 feet. you are however, correct. they are utility easements, not public areas. anyway, i'm wondering about the width of the easement & the actual laws about not fencing it, because there are homes with fences quite close to the sidewalks (or brick walls even). as long as the utilities have access to thier ROW, they tend not to be concerned about fences (although one can't expect them to not damage part of one if they have to dig, i think). i know i have an electric ROW through my pasture, which is, obviously, fenced. the crew checks with me before doing linework if possible, but it *is* thier ROW... i expect they're trained to deal with livestock underfoot... at least they did pretty good when those lines came down during Wilma last fall (they even fixed my fence they had to take down temporarily).

well, no, you shouldn't, but if asking nicely isn't getting them to restrain themselves or thier dogs, it seems blocking them is mentally healthier than simply fuming... of course, you have come up with some pretty creative dog doom scenarios, so maybe you actually enjoy that to some extent ;) maybe your problem is more common than you think? it does seem to me than most front yards there are just boring lawn, with a token flowering dogwood or crabapple and all the "nice" gardening is done out back of the house... hmmmm. lee

Reply to
enigma

My garden is nationwide. It's everywhere.

Anyway...I may have just solved the problem. On our police force of 30-ish officers, there is just one who thinks creatively, and seems to be as much a scholar of the law as the town justice. She just stopped by, listened, and explained that it's not necessary to have signs posted in order to charge someone with trespassing. The alternative is a verbal request which is ignored. She said she'd be delighted (her word) to present a low life with a summons, meet them in court, and watch as they try to tell a judge that they are somehow above the law because they have a dog.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:45:56 +0000 (UTC), enigma plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

I have dogs as do many people in our community and we don't appear to be having as many problems as has been reported here. Local Councils in most of our suburban areas provide off-lead areas where dog owners can exercise their dogs. If dogs are exercised outside of these areas then dogs must be restrained by a leash. At all times dog owners are expected to pick up after their dogs and if they fail to do so they risk being prosecuted.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

Here, the risk of prosecution is minimal. But really, this discussion is about people who have been politely told to do it elsewhere, even if they DO plan on cleaning it up, and they have refused to obey. Civil trespass, in other words.

Reply to
Doug Kanter