How to keep dogs off my container plants??

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:4_BVf.5176$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

but not everyone has the dogowner problem (it really isn't a dog problem, it's owners that don't bother to train Fido to do his business in one corner of *thier* yard *before* embarking on exercise around the neighborhood). dogs *can* be trained to eliminate on command... personally, i'll settle for picking a spot & making them use that *one* area, but that's me.

that sounds somewhat promising. how much will it cost you though? sounds like a small claim civil matter? (OTOH, my one big court case was suing for false advertising on a VW Bug i bought in the late 70s. it was sold as 'in great, inspectable condition'. it had gaping holes in the heater boxes & floor (under the mat). i asked for my money back when it failed inspection, he said no. his sole defense when it made it to court was he was ex-Navy, as was the judge. fortunately the judge found that as irrelevent as i did. i got my money, my court costs *and* the car, which i sold to a body shop for more than i paid...) so, maybe it'll work for you. lee

Reply to
enigma

Small claims court costs a few bucks, but there are no monetary claims being made here. There's the dog owner, me, and a police officer.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug, I will be honest but I am not doing so to antagonise you or overly antagonise you, I think you need to chill out a little, smoke some dope or whatever and not fixate so much on dog shit. I have clearly stated my approach to dog ownership and dog walking, it is a responsable approach. Other dog owners I know have the same standards, they are reasonable people. If you apply a test of reasonableness to my approach to walking mutts I think it will hold up well.

Expecting people to pay $1,000 into an account for your carpets clearly is not reasonable. Either you are taking the piss or you are serious. If the former, I give you marks for cheekiness, if the latter then you fail the test of reasonableness. The state of your carpets are your responsibility. You can remove your shoes, you can buy a mat. You don't blame anyone else for your failure to check what you tramp in. Likewise, if you are clumsy enough to spill wine on your carpet you don't blame the maker of the glass for it being smooth or having a slender stem etc. Your choice, your responsibility. If my dog did, for some reason, crap on someones lawn I would take responsibility to remove it. My responsibility. Responsibilities, yours and mine.

Reasonable dog owners keep their dogs off peoples property when walking just as responsible child owners keep their children out of other peoples gardens when walking. I don't know what it is about your situation Doug but my neighbourhood does not have the problem you describe of people walking their dogs on to your front lawn to crap. Dogs certainly crap on the grass verge outside my house and my dogs do outside other peoples. The shit, of course, gets picked up. However, and an important matter here, you or I or anyone else has no right (none whatsoever) to instruct someone not to allow their dog to shit on the grass verge. We can tell them to pick up the shit however. Just as you or I have no ability to tell a parent what their child can or can't do when walking along the footpath.

Hope I have outlined that clearly for you.

rob

Reply to
George.com

The bottom line, really, is that when I go out at night to look at the stars, that's what I want to do. I don't want to have to inspect the ground with a flashlight. I want to look up. The statement "I want to look at the stars" cannot be interpreted to mean "I want to spend 20 minutes scraping dog shit off my shoes".

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

But to protect your carpets , all you need do is slip off your shoes at the door. That's the bottom line.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Janet, I think you would agree that some people have eyes, but do not see, and ears, but do not listen, right? Humor me for the moment and answer this question.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

construction

unprotected.

responsibility.

Doug, it may be the case that you want to go outside and look at the stars without stepping in dog shit. The situationI have outlined above solves that problem does it not.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I think we're done here.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

who pissed in your corn flakes this morning????

Reply to
tammieallison

Who are you asking? You edited away any trace of previous text. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Probably a dog.....

Reply to