grafting a nectarine (espalier)

Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine. It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series of horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base of the original (damaged) branches. This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new growth to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is some other way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james melbourne AUS

Reply to
james

I have no experience with grafting much less nectarine grafting. But there was a discussion here recently including regularly damp soil (not wet) as well as some enzyme supposedly available from gardening depots.

Oh, and some luck.

Reply to
Mike

If the tree is still alive, the root structure of the tree should put out new branches to match that structure. Usual grafting requires that you match the diameters of the two pieces to be joined. There are some grafts where you can use missmatched diameters by lining up a smaller branch with the edge of a bigger branch. I assume you still have a few branches left on this tree, so cutting off the tree near the base would be counter productive. There is no good way I know of to graft a small branch to the outer edge of a much larger trunk. You may find some grafting method to do this, if you pursue the subject. There is a technique called 'bud grafting' where you cut a slit in the branch and insert a piece of scion containing a bud, but that is meant to be used on smaller branches where the cambium can line up easier.

Sherw> Hi,

Reply to
sherwindu