crabapple orchard

hey all, we live in the dc metro area and are considering planting about 15 don wyman crabapple trees in the next week in our yard (it's currently early nov). this particular strain seem disease resistant but we wonder if it's too late in the year to plant (we are in the 60's during the day and 40's at night)? also, how is the fall folliage? i've only seen pictures of spring flowers and winter red fruit-- both are beautiful.

thanks.

Reply to
rottyguy70

If they are in containers (as opposed to bare root), you can plant them now. I have an Indian Summer crabapple that I bought bare root in June and planted in a large container while I figured out where to plant it. It was only 99 cents, so I couldn't pass it up! I plan to put it in the ground this weekend.

Here are some pictures of the Donald Wyman Crabapple:

Vox Humana

Reply to
presley

Perhaps the American Persimmon/Diospyros virginiana would be a viable alternative.

Bill

Reply to
Bill