Apple Tree Grafting- Last Season's growth

I am preparing to graft for this first time next spring. I am researching various articles on the subject. One point which I would greatly like clarification is how to distinguish "last season's growth" from older growth.

A little background:

I have been admiring an old crab apple tree in a nearby park for some time. The apples make great jelly. I have a young (2-3 years?) crab apple tree in my yard purchased this year. I want to graft scions from the old tree onto the new one.

Thanks

Robert

Reply to
robertbisson

I agree with James on recognizing new growth. The color is usually a light green and is easily spotted at the end of the branches. One thing to look for is the largest diameter wood you can find on both the scion and the tree to be grafted upon. Try to match these diameters as closely as possible, as this will give you the most chance for a good cambium (living layer just under the bark) contact to insure the graft will take.

Sherw> snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu