Fungus/mushroom ID?

I just posted a picture in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. Location: 1 block from Chesapeake Bay; zone 7b.

Reply to
Frogleg

It is a basidiocarp, aka 'conk' or shelf or bracket fungus, which is actually the fruiting body of of a fungus that typically affects the root or heartwood of trees. Lots of different fungi or root rots can generate these conks and if as well developed and as visible as your photo portrays, they usually indicate a tree that is well on its way to death.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks, Pam. I will pay more attention to the tree the next time I walk by. I was first interested in how the tree roots/base were like toes curled up at the sidewalk, then saw the fungus.

Reply to
Frogleg