Fun With Skunks

I was trimming some shrubs which were rubbing against a window frame which needs to be painted, and I think I discovered where my local skunk lives - the one that scoots behind those bushes when I pull into the driveway late at night. There's a 12" diameter hole in the ground.

Anybody want to lay odds on the chances of that skunk getting annoyed if I'm clambering around its hole in the middle of the day?

Or, does anyone have several excellent recipes involving tomato juice, in case I do NOT end up needing a bath and this paint job is done? How many bloody marys can one person drink before the juice expires...15 cans of it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There was a PBS show about skunks where a woman authority on skunks, said the best way to get rid of them is to place a Boom Box at the enterance

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Any particular kind of music? I assume nobody really likes death metal, but you never know.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Play a recording of a lawyer talking. It works on sharks, too.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You can catch them in a Hav-a-hart and I understand they will not spray if confined although I don't think I'd transport in the trunk of my car.

Reply to
Frank

Covered - that's how the professionals do it, apparently. This is a great video.

JoeSpareBedroom

The previous post got sent when computer went haywire for a moment.

It probably won't care what you do during the day as long as your careful. I burned weeds next to a skunk hole I didn't know was there until the fire died down, then found the skunk happily munching dog food in the garage with a bad attitude toward me when I walked in.

There was a PBS show about skunks where a woman authority on skunks, said the best way to get rid of them is to place a Boom Box at the entrance just before dusk, playing loud bass music. She said it never fails.

I recorded the show and checked it to get the formula to breakdown skunk stink. Tomato juice doesn't work.

In your yard, never in the house, mix one quart 3% hydrogen peroxide one quarter cup baking soda one teaspoon liquid laundry detergent

Mix fresh each time because dangerous pressure can build up in closed container.

Keep away from eyes

After five minutes rinse off

Good luck

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I've trapped them twice when I was after groundhogs. I just opened the trap and let them out. Did not get sprayed and there was not even any odor. I wish I had videotaped the second time as I caught a mother and her kids were jumping all over the trap and would not leave. I was able to open the trap from above on my deck with a pole.

Video reminds me of neighbor that had a lot of cats and a cat door for them to enter. One day he came down to find a raccoon in the house eating cat food. Who knows what would have happened had it been a skunk.

Reply to
Frank

While doing other things, I've been wondering who I know with a boom box. Then it dawned on me that I play bass guitar. It's not like a needed reminding. I practice nightly, and play in a band 3-5 times a month. The skunk hole is 2 feet from the house, outside the room where I practice. All I need to do is move the amplifier...

I need more sleep.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If anyone gets pissed on by a skunk it's their own dumb ass fault. Shoot them from a distance and be done with it.

Reply to
EVP MAN

Gazpacho! basically, tomato juice (hope it tastes good) and finely chopped veggies.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

That one had sprayed the cage and was snapping and hissing. I called a professional pest controller to deal with it. That guy told me he suspected it was rabid. We'd had two reports of rabid foxes attacking people in the township that summer, and a friend of mine had reported a skunk staggering in circles in the middle of the road during daylight hours which he called the police to dispatch. So it seemed a reasonable assumption.

Had to use chlorine bleach + Oxyclean to deoderize the trap and surroundings.

(I was baiting for groundhogs and forgot to close the trap at night.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Let me reinforce what you said.

Left alone to react, in a sealed container that will essentially cause an explosion.

There has been a rash of soda bottles with pretty much this crap inside left on lawns in various places (and yes, it is confirmed at snopes.com). People pick up the bottles and the agitation causes it to burst with rather powerful force- enough to cause injury.

DO NOT mix this up in a sealed container.

No lie!

Also, be aware that if you purchase any quantity of H2O2 (peroxide) you will probably get a visit from some branch of Homeland Security, since that is a prime b o m b making substance.

Chris

Reply to
Chris