SKUNKS !!!

I got three skunks under the house which sits on no foundation. I am trying to trap them and got one yesterday. When I get them all hoew do I keep them out? Or off the property?

Reply to
lance

mstrspy

Understandably, you're probably not in the mood to hear this, but skunks are valuable to have around. They eat grubs & mice. Is there any way you could use sturdy fence wire to block access to the underside of the house once you've got the skunks out?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We had skunks under our front porch, which is a piece of concrete about 7' x 5'. They dug a den under the concrete. I filled it several times with new concrete. Each time they would dig under the new layer. I talked to local animal control and they told me that I needed to put hardware cloth (coarse screening) vertical on the sides of the stoop down about 4 or 6 inches underground. And then out, under the 4 or 6 inches of dirt, about 12". I did it, they tried to return and dug down in to where they encountered the screening and then they moved on. I also did this on my storage shed ... worked equally well. Around an entire cabin might be a big job. BTW, when animal control traps a skunk here, they kill it. They use a needle on a long handle. They let the animal see it and then inject it. Usually, the skunk doesn't spray, but sometimes they do.

Reply to
Art Todesco

A MAJOR caveat re: mothballs.

We had a chipmunk chew through the outside tongue and groove on our cabin and take up residence in the void. We asked what to put in there, and Ace Hardware said mothballs.

My wife had me put two boxes in there. I don't know what I was thinking of at the time, but good private I am, I carried out Sarge's orders.

For nearly a year, we had an overpowering aroma of mothballs. To get them out would have required MAJOR removal of components. Finally, this summer, when we got to the cabin, the mothballs didn't hit you in the face the moment you walked in.

You may be able to put a lot of mothballs in there. Just be darn sure that they are in a place you can get them out easily once the skunks vacate. I'd go get some of those net bags and put a bunch in those, and then retrieve the bag once they're gone.

As for the ammonia, I don't know how long that takes to dissipate, but remember that you will be smelling it, too. And humid conditions or rain might activate it in the future if you spray a lot under there.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Too bad they have to kill the animal. Letting the animal "see" the weapon seems a bit cruel. I realize that skunks are a pain but they do have some value (eating grubs adn other pests). I have a room with a crawl space under it (supported with columns and latice work to hide the columns) So far I have been fortunate. No skunks. I do see them in my driveway at night. I'm always worried that I will step on a skunk at night because it is dark in my driveway.

Reply to
mstrspy

Well, they used to just relocate them after trapping, however, now, because there seems to be a lot of rabies, they do euthanize skunks. Apparently, the percentages are pretty high in this area. Also, showing them the needle avoids startling the animal to prevent spraying. I don't think the skunk has the thought process to think that the needle is a weapon. As far as eating grubs, etc., yes they do and yes they tear up an entire lawn. I've had some small damage, however, the people across had about 50% of their front lawn completely destroyed.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks for all the responses. I really do not want to smell moth balls and I won't have them killed. So I guess I will just keep on trapping them and hope once all are out they won't come back. It's only a can of tuna to bait them...

Reply to
lance

You definitely don't want to smell mothballs on a regular basis -- they're toxic. And, as someone who has had skunks not only nesting under her house, but who had them spray there, I can testify that mothballs do not seem to have a deterrent effect on the skunks, nor do they mask the odor; they just compound it. Wish I could have gotten that idiot landlord to understand that when he kept "fixing" the situation by strewing mothballs all over the yard. He was fixated on how much easier that was than repairing the so-called foundation (read: WWII ammo boxes) that allowed them access.

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

...>

So you think you can out stink a skunk?

While I try to personally avoid them, and they can become a bother, I agree with those who have noted that they have their good points. Eating mice voles and grubs is a real plus. When I was a kid the family bought a de-scented skunk for a pet. They don't make great pets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ok you trapped them, how did you release them from the trap.

Reply to
ransley

Skunk just tore up a small section of my girlfriend's lawn overnight digging for grub worms.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I suspect they'd wander out if you open the trap and walk away. What I'm wondering is how you avoid getting sprayed earlier in this little adventure.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Off the property may be impossible. You could put 1/4" hardware cloth around the perimeter of the building to keep critters out. Look at what skunks like to eat and try to make the area less inviting.

Reply to
franz frippl

It may not seem like it, but they are likely preventing more damage than they are causing. What they dig up is generally already dead meat due to the grubs, even if it does not look like it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Try to tell her that :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Go to a pet store and pick up a couple of live mice. Place them in her house. After the resulting entertainment ends, tell her skunks are better mousers than most cats. That should change her tune.

Or not. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If I could convince her that skunks eat spiders she would welcome them with open arms. She had severe arachnophobia.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I'm with her. You might want to let her know that geckos do eat spiders, if she doesn't also have a lizard phobia.

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

Skunks don't spray what they can't see. Keep the cage covered.

Reply to
HeyBub