Excluding deer

I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out deer around our garden. What I do not know is what is the minimum spacing of these horizontal strands that will effectively screen out deer? I understand that they may be able to stick their heads through the wires, but I intend to have a 3'-0" path around the garden which should leave most plants out of reach.

The fence will be 8 feet high. I have priced out various materials and the wire seems to be the most cost effective.

So, what is a recommended minimum horizontal spacing?

TIA

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Levine

think electric fence. put a 3-4' short green wire type of stuff on the bottom to keep out rabbits.

2" up from green stuff put the first hot wire. probably every 18-24" put another hot wire. around the perimeter lay down that larger >I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6' t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we have a lot of deer. Once they get a couple of zaps, they stay away from it.

Reply to
DWW

why would others diagree? it works right?

rosie who just bought a house in "deer country"....................

Reply to
rosie

electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6' t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we have a lot of deer.>>

I don't disagree, but I have had success with just a single wire at the 3' level. They seem to stay away and not try to jump it so I don't need the higher wire. I have three widely seperated areas that I want to protect and they each are on a different circuit. The small zapper I got for the vegetable garden was only $24.

Dave

DavesVideo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Deer are inheritantly lazy and easily spooked. They will avoid barriers they can easily see. They will try to crawl under a fence before they will effortlessly hop over it.

They tend to respect fences they can see easily before they come to them. Hence a 4' wire mesh fence will usually just be an annoyance to them. A 4' wire mesh fence with plastic bags decorating it will be a barrier to them.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning