Home soil test kit question.

In Lowes I noticed a soil test kit for NPK and pH for 12 bucks. Comprised of 4 small tubes and small pills for the nutrient tests. 10 tests in all. I was wondering if anyone has and experience with these kits?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Reply to
GaryM

I use them. It's faster (and less expensive) than sending samples to your local extension service. Make sure you use super clean containers and distilled water. Be careful when collecting your sample. Testing your soil is highly recommended and you'll know exactly to buy to improve the soil.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the quick response and tips.

Gary

Reply to
GaryM

They are not as accurate as a laboratory analysis, but they will give you some indication of your soil nutrient level. In my experience, the trickiest (least accurate) measurement is N and the easiest is pH. Consider them qualitative tests. They won't tell you how much of any given fertilizer to add, but they can tell you whether you need any or can save your money.

When doing the pH test, try plain water first to see if your water is acid or alkaline. It's probably not necessary to go to distilled water unless your home water has real problems. Even then, bottled spring water should be OK for the tests and it's cheaper than distilled water.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Here's a page from the Thomas Register that covers the subject matter.

at some of the products, the price range for run of the mill testing is about $300. This is considerably more than $12, but these kits are probably for people who want to do a home base business.

Olushola

Reply to
Olushola

I don't know about where you live, but around here, distilled is $0.58 per gallon. Spring water costs about the same. I'd go with the distilled to make sure it's as accurate as possible.

Reply to
tmtresh