Soil test results

Got the results yesterday from UMass. They say I need to apply a fertilizer that has a breakdown of 20-3-12 at 5lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have no idea where to get this.

An alternative was to apply 2lb of P, 2lb of K, and 1 lb of nitrogen. If I can't find the mixture above, what would I buy at the HD or garden shop to accomplish this mix.

Thanks for your time. My lawn looks like hell.

Reply to
JackRabbit

Your best bet is call around locally. Most lawns will benefit by applications of organic material and mulching which returns nitrogen to the soil. Organic fertilizers contain trace elements. If you use inorganic fertilizers, use slow-release products and/or apply in several applications spaced a month apart. Lawn fertilizers applied in the fall are much more effective, so don't miss that. Lawn take many months to restore, so you'll need patience too. Using a fertilizer wil a low middle number should work well. Have the soil tested again in 12 months.

Reply to
Phisherman

The first and second paragraph are inconsistent, because if you mix those pounds you will have a 1-2-2 profile. I assume 20-3-12 is what you want.

The cheapest source of N is urea at 46% by weight, which is commonly sold in farm supply stores. The cheapest source of K is wood ash at 8% by weight, found in wood stoves throughout the country. Wood ash would have P at perhaps 2% by weight, fulfilling that requirement as well. If not, the farm supply store will provide you with various chemicals containing P and K at about 40% by weight, which you will have to mix properly. It would be best if you could mix it all with a larger amount of compost before spreading.

Reply to
simy1

Buy your fertilizer at the farm supply store. Otherwise a mix of 16 -

20-0 will suffice.

Derryl

Reply to
Derryl

That would be the optimum mix, anything close will do. You are applying 1lb of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft and just over half a pound of potash. Additional potash will give your turf some drought resistance. You probably do not need any additional phosphorus unless you are bagging and removing your clippings. What was the soil pH? Concentrate on getting the nitrogen right and keeping the phoshorus to a minimum and you will do ok. Remember on the fertilizer bags the numbers are percentages.

100 lbs of 20-3-12 contains 20lbs of N
Reply to
bamboo

Went to HD, got a 24-2-11 from Lesco. Close enough !! Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
JackRabbit

good time to kill it, then.....and plant natives which require little or no water so if your area goes into drought alert, you won't have to worry about having DEAD YARD!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
RAINDEAR