Earwigs on my vegetables and flowers

Hi, I'm new to this group, just subscribed. I live in the Chicago area. I'm hoping to learn what others are doing to get rid of or control earwigs on vegetables and flowers. We have 2 dogs so I don't want to do anything that might hurt them. Someone recently told me to make a mixture of water and plain dish soap and spray the affected plants. Unfortunately, they did not know the ratio of water to soap. Does anyone know the ratio? Also, I wouldn't think this solution would be a problem for the dogs or anyone eating the vegetables, but it would be nice to get others opinions. Thanks for any help

Reply to
LSD

Spray with a solution of water and Murphy Oil Soap; a Tbs soap to one quart water. Murphy is a non toxic natural soap.

Reply to
Sheldon

Regarding soap, either use Murphy's soap as Sheldon described, or buy specificly insecticidal soap and follow the manufacturer's instructions. (Insecticidal soap has been formulated to have less potential to damage foliage. Some formulations of soap are sold as herbicides.)

As for using the soap spray, it only kills them with direct contact. So, spray the *plants* at night, when the earwigs are feeding. During the day, spray the places they may be hiding (under bark mulch, cracks and crevises in wood structures, etc.).

You can also lay out traps for them:

Sink a plastic tub into theground and bait it with a littl soy sauce covered with a layer of vegetable oil. Cut a hole in the lid and cover it. The earwigs will crawl in and die. Empty and repeat at intervals. (If you have lots of skunks and racoons in the yard, they sometime go after the oil in the traps.)

Lay out pieces of old garden hose (dampen the inside) or roll up slightly damp newspaper and set them out overnight. In the morning, tap them out over a bucket of soapy water.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

are wise to worry about pets. My wife nearly did in our cat spraying kitchen for ants. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Thanks to all 3 responders. I would not have guessed Murphy's, but happen to have some so I'll try it this weekend. Question for Pat. If I do have raccoons or skunks, will they eat the earwigs in the oil, thus helping me out in the pest elimination? LSD

Reply to
LSD

The earwigs in the oil traps will already be dead, so no, they will not be aiding you in your effort. Toads will eat earwigs (at night) and starlings (bah!) are the only birds I've ever seen actively hunting earwigs. (I've seen them tap on the garage siding to flush the earwigs out.)

You don't want to let those go unemptied for too long, as the accumulating earwig corpses will start to stink like some much larger dead animal.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz