Christmas cactus

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's plant. It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted it about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted it to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to bud.

Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before or after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.

Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't start until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before. (I had no idea they grow so fast)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

There are several varieties:

Brooklyn1

Dormancy?

I have 3 of them in a north facing window. They start blooming around Thanksgiving, end up around May. (I'm in central NJ.)

When I kept them in a south facing window they would bloom all at once, the plant covered in flowers. I think I like them blooming all winter. I turn the plant to see the flowers and another side starts blooming. I like that a lot.

As for going dormant, I never really noticed any dormant period. They put out buds and get bigger all the time they are not blooming.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Okay, I'm worrying for nothing. :) I read somewhere that they go dormant for a while (and you stop watering) before the flower buds start. Thanks!

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

That does sound familiar, hang around and see if anyone else agrees. I don't stop watering and the plants are doing fine. I do let them get pretty dry between waterings year round.

Reply to
Dan Espen