"Christmas (maybe crab) Cactus" question

I have a "Christmas Cactus", Schlumbergera truncata(?), that has never really bloomed much over the years: some years one or two blossoms in Feb., some years none.

This year it bloomed from the second week of December through the first week of January, with 13 blossoms! Now, in March its blooming again with at least 8 blossoms.

It's in a slightly different location, but not radically. Any one have a clue what is going on?

Is it that sensitive and I have found its sweet spot?

Is this its last hurrah and its going to expire? We've had it for almost

30 years.

Thanks in advance,

Marco ________________________ Marc Reinig UCO/Lick Observatory Laboratory for Adaptive Optics

Reply to
Marc Reinig

They can be temperamental. I have several varieties, each having its own rest period. They like light feedings of organic fertilizers (fish emulsion, manure tea, etc), cooler temperatures, and fast drainage. Be careful about overwatering. If you have not repotted one in two years it may be time for some fresh potting soil.

Reply to
Phisherman

they're also sensitive to amount of light (from what i hear, i haven't got any more control over mine than you); too much light makes them think it's summer and not bloom, even if they've already started.