Christmas Cactus

Can anyone tell me how to root a christmas cactus? Do I just stick it in the dirt? Or root it in water?

Reply to
Marg

Take a slip containing 4 or 5 nodes. Dust with root hormone powder (some products have a fungicide). In a 6 or 8 oz plastic cup of vermiculite add 2 tablespoons of water make a hole, insert the slip, cover with a plastic bag & rubber band, and set in a bright (east) window. Wait 2 months. Check for roots & pot up. Be extra careful not to use too much water. You might get it to root in water or it may root sticking it in dirt--although you'll get a stronger plant as described.

Reply to
Phisherman

Neither.

Root them in moist sand.

A Google search will reveal many websites on how to grow, flower and propagate "Christmas Cactus".

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Mine is a sort of Thanksgiving plant and has buds now.

Reply to
Skirmishd

Wait until after its finished blooming.

It doesn't matter which holiday its named for. The care is pretty much the same.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

about the cactus...where to put it (it or ? :) )..light,shade. cold,warm?

Reply to
K.

I am not sure which Holiday mine likes; I had a huge one for years and just called it a Christmas Cactus. Lost it when I made a long move but had given my daughter cuttings and in Nov of 2001 I pinched a tiny tip from hers, took it to my new home and let it heal for a day then stuck it in a cup of sandy loam. This year I put it on the table in a covered patio with filtered sun from 3 O'clock until dark. it started buding last week and every tip has a bud and they are popping open daily and it is beautiful!!! I have never had one bloom so well. It has been enjoying natural light and temperature changes of the out of doors and i really hate to bring it in, but the night temp is beginning to get close to 40 and i fear it will chill it too much. What is the lowest it will survive??

i started treating it like any other suculent by letting the soil dry out before watering it and using organic fertilizer on it regulary during the growing season, and will let it rest this winter. Will have to repot it come spring as it has grown so much.

So Does that sound about right to do? Its grand parent was grown in an enclosed solarium and i really didn't know much about growing them. It did well for a long time, but managed to nearly kill it with too much water ( two people were watering it unknown by the other.. ) and when I found it rotting, i washed all the rot off and plopped it in a clean pan of water and never got around to repotting it and it did very well, grew like a trouper for nearly 10 years, until the late fall of

2001 when i moved. But, if planted in soil, it needs to dry out in between waterings.

leo/lee

Reply to
Lee

thank you. I didn't want them to die on the way home (found a couple of broken peices after packing them out at work) so I immediately stuck them in water while waiting for your responses. I may just leave them there and see what happens as long as I know they can be rooted in water :-)

Reply to
Marg

Pointed edges are thanksgiving cactus, curved scalloped edges are Christmas. I have a white christmas about to bloom, it's a bit confused but I forgive it!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy

Mine has been flowering for over 2 weeks and still have buds. It never flowers at Christmas. Last year it flowered at Easter also. It is a mixed up plant, but I like it Françoise

Skirmishd wrote:

Reply to
Françoise

YUP, i will have flowers for thanksgiving and probably easter again! NUTTY plant!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

Mine likes to be kept rather dry in an east window. I would say it is kept on the cool side. I learned from experience to not move it at all once it buds or the buds may drop. When in full bloom, I often move it to another place to show it off and it's fine.

Reply to
Skirmishd

The first two years I had mine it always bloomed about a week before Christmas. Now it covers itself beautifully each Thanksgiving week. Maybe the holidays got too stressful...sigh.

Reply to
RayKinsella

I had the same problem. But over the years I swapped slips from friends and now I have a collection of Zygocactus where at least one is in bloom throughout the (dull) winter months. They seem to prefer neglect during the blooming season.

Reply to
Phisherman

They like cooler, darker and drier falls. I love all of mine!

Reply to
Tom Randy