Can I save my lavender?

Hi I'm new and a relatively inexperienced gardener.

I've recently received some lavender plants from crocus but they aren't in great condition (they are sending new plants out after talking to me about the problem).

When they arrived the lower parts of the plant were brown/black with wilted leaves but there was fresh growth above. I feel that they were perhaps over watered/kept too humid? (I am quite likely to be wrong - I've been googling and that's what I've read so far that matches?)

I decided to try planting them anyway in the sunny raised bed I'd prepared for them (I mixed some grit in to help drainage) and the lower leaves have dried out completely now. They are dry and brittle and a greyish colour now (dead I'm guessing?) I'm unsure if this is just normal and its the older part dying off or if it is a bigger problem? - The new leaves and growth seem fine - they have been in a few days now.

From what I can find online though if it is overwatering/root rot it suggests that its unlikely the plants can be saved? Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't really know what I'm doing :)

Thank you

Reply to
chezza

Try to root cuttings taken from the fresh growth. Lavender cuttings generally root quite easily. Use the rooted cuttings and discard the parents.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thank you David :)

It's a shame they are no good :( I'll try taking some cuttings when I get home later.

Thanks again :)

Reply to
chezza