Birch tree root system

How widespread is the root system for a Birch tree? A "wild" one decided to grow in the backyard and is now about 25 feet high. Debating whether or not to have it cut down. I like the shade and the fact that it's creating some privacy, but am concerned about roots invading the sewer lines and damage to the foundation of the house. My neighbor is also concerned about tree roots buckling his driveway (but he's got a huge, old silver maple in his own yard that's more likely the source of that problem).

Reply to
OhSojourner

I did a google search for this subject and got 52,700 results in .40 secs.

Anyway here is a link to a site:

have 3 white birches I planted in my front yard about 20 years ago. I bought all of them from the same garden catalog. After years of growing I now have noticed all three are of a different variety. Lost one due to a fungal dieback. It was the smallest one. The other 2 are doing nicely. Almost adult trees now. They are very nice looking and great shade for the house. The only thing is I have to water them in drought conditions here in the midwest.....being their roots are close to the surface.

I did have damage to my sewer lines in the same area but was not the birch trees....was my cedar evergreen bushes. Good luck.....Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

Depending on the species, generally moderately shallow rooted and not too wide spread. Assume about a foot of radius for the root zone for each inch of apparent diameter of the trunk - it's a fiction, but a handy one.

Reply to
Mike LaMana