Tree root danger? ? ?

We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches from the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub, but it's now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger the foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to buckle up.

Is this a danger?

Reply to
Ray

Ray -

I'm new here.......

You might want to check out: allexperts.com I'd look up the type of tree that you have, say for instance: Blue Spruce Root System I read what they have there for that particular type of tree and it's root system. You can ask them a question as well.

We have a huge tree-like holly that was once a wee holly bush (plant that was under 6 inches) that I received for XMAS one year. Over the years, it's now over 25ft. high. The reason why we haven't transplanted it is due to it attracting honey bees every spring.......

This holly bush has certainly ruined our driveway and surrounding walk!!! When we decide to replace the whole driveway and the walk area, we'll try and transplant the holly bush, now tree. We'd like the honeybees to return......

Hope this will help you....

Take care and be well out there! Debra

Reply to
dar

Tree roots go through rock via hydraulic pressure both laterally and downwards. More likely, the rock will have fissures or fractures. Tree roots are notorious for finding leaky pipes.

A tree is wonderful for its beauty and the shade it provides a home. However, the same can be a fire danger. Branching in vicinity of the eaves can produce poor air movement, and consequential damage from fungal growth. This condition is more often seen with vines that crawl the side of the house.

These are the dice you toss, what are your chances?

Reply to
Dioclese

It depends on the quality of the foundation. If you have little cracks roots will grow in there. They tend to grow towards foundation. In nature when a tree falls borers and such create holes in nurse log and roots then grow in the chambers made by the latter. We suggest keeping trees back at least 10' from structures. Some useful information on trees can be found here:

symplastless

Thanks -- that helps.

[...]

Mature spruce has a circular root-width of 25 feet round. Yours sounds mature at 30 feet height, so I'm guessing it has had roots all overt the side of the foundation for a long, long while. If it hasn't done any harm yet, its roots likely already decided not to develop in the "dry" direction through or under a foundation. Ten inches is damnably close to a house, though, and even I'm surprised that the tree hasn't gotten big enough around to press on the eaves.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I would have to say that having _any_ 30-foot tree 10 inches form the house is a very bad idea unless you are living in a tree house and that is your support.

Reply to
John McGaw