Another "whatisit" :-)

Ok everyone, point your browsers to

and take a look. We just noticed this vine around a trellis that also has a Clematis on it. Although it is possible that it was there before, we have never noticed it and sure would like to know what it is.

Please note the seed pods.....it is not a Clematis, is it?

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Reply to
Donald Gares

told2b

Definitely hyacinth bean. Collect the pods after they turn brown and dry on the vine and plant in the late spring outside or start inside in late winter. I remove the beans from the dry pods and soak in warm water over night before planting. They like the heat. The pods on mine are starting to dry now.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Hey, thanks to both of you.

What we don't understand is when we look them up it states that they are grown as a perennial in zones 8-9 and as an annual in zones lower than that. Well, we are in zone 5 (southeast IA) and we sure didn't plant them so how did they get in our flower garden? Might they have managed to winter over this far north?

Don & Rhonda

Reply to
Donald Gares

Most likely the seed found its way to your garden. I may have come along with a plant or an animal may have deposited it. The seeds seem to be able to over winter and then sprout the next year. I got my seeds from a local nursery that grew them on a fence (yes, I asked before taking the seeds.) This year they didn't plant the vine, but I noticed a few volunteers. I am in zone 6. I collected a large number of pods last year from the few plants that I grew. I started some myself, and gave away some seed and I still had way too many. I looks like I will repeat the cycle this year.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Reply to
told2b

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

The drought here made my crop this year non-existent - but if you're willingto give some one year old seed a shot I have plenty to share.

"madgardener" wrote:

Reply to
Cheryl Cat

Hey, everyone who requested seeds......