Identification needed....

Can anyone identify the perennial which we just placed at

?

We purchased a home that has an abundance of perennials and have identified most all of them except this very bright orange one.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Reply to
Donald Gares

Asclepias tuberosa, a.k.a. "Butterfly Weed".

Despite the common name, it is not weedy at all but it does attract butterflies.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Most common common name is Butterfly Weed. Botanical name is Asclepias tuberosa.

We purchased a home that has an abundance of perennials and have identified most all of them except this very bright orange one.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Reply to
nonews

Hey, thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. We also have what is called "butterfly bushes" which are just starting to bloom.....any connection or relation to the "butterfly weed"?

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Reply to
Donald Gares

If you're thinking of Buddleia, I don't believe they're the same, judging from the botanical name. Wiser heads will correct me if wrong.

Buddleia (sp) can get away from you if not firmly pruned when it gets too big & woody.

Reply to
Aspasia

Both attract butterflies.

Apparently the previous owners had a thing for butterflies.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Butterfly Weed = Asclepias tuberosa

Butterfly Bush = Buddleia

Very different and in different plant families.

What they do have in common is that they attract butterflies.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

It can be invasive also.

Reply to
Travis

Here in Zone 5 Wisconsin, we wish the Buddleia was a bit closer to invasive -- we're lucky if it makes it from year to year. Even when it does, sooner or later it doesn't make it through winter.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O