We've had some very hot humid weather in the northeast, and I've
developed some powdery mildew on a small section of the vine.
I can see the whitish hairy grpwth on a section of leaves. I'm
wondering if it too late to control it.
What has been most effective for home gardeners treating an existing
infection?? I see wettable sulphur mentioned being applied to acres,
but often the home gardeners has choices commercial growers can't use
(like picking bugs off rather than blanketing the area in pesticides)
Does cleaning the leaves off help control the infection?
I would imagine that the physical mildew impedes photosynthesis some,
which would reduce the health and vigor of that leaf/vine--helping the
mildew to survive.
Do you remove the diseased leaves? I'm guessing it is something that
can spread so less of it is a control.
I see some on grape clusters too. I'm planning to remove those--I have
plenty of other clusters.
I am concerned that some of the berries are almost 1/4" round, but
most are still smaller. There are warnings about using the wettable
sulphur, especially with table grapes--which these are.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound
3rd year gardener